Real estate asset management is a complex and diverse function that has evolved over the past few decades to emerge as an integral area of practice within the world of commercial real estate. There are many approaches, definitions and models of asset management, and the skills required of and functions performed by an asset manager depend on several variables of a portfolio, including: the size and scale of an organization, the number and type of assets under management, the business goals of the owners(e.g. current income vs. capital gain), as well as the nature of the mandate (internal or outsourced to a third party).
Asset management continues to expand in order to help deal with the numerous and varied issues between owners, consultants, property managers, accountants, tenants, capital markets and regulatory authorities. This course will feature case studies and group exercises. Attendees will be encouraged to participate in moderated class discussions.
|Eligible for Continuing Education Credits with BOMI.|
- Overview of the asset management function
- Portfolio management
- Review of budgeting and planning processes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Evaluating hold/sell decisions
- Public and private financing
- Build vs. buy decision making parameters
- Valuation analysis
- Client services and reporting
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Familiarity with the skills and experience required of an Asset Manager
- Clearer knowledge of the general goals of the Asset Manager
- Greater awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of internal, third party, and fund structure
- Asset Management mandate models
- Deeper knowledge of the challenges facing asset managers and the interplay of asset managers with other organizational functions
- Ability to identify the key performance indicators used by the asset manager in performing his or her function
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Asset managers looking to deepen their understanding and are keen to study and interact with other professionals involved in asset management
- Real estate professionals wishing to pursue a career in asset management
- Owners looking to gain a better understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of different asset management mandates
- Investors looking to invest in a real estate fund or engage third party asset managers
- Legal, accounting, banking, finance, and advisory client service professionals looking to broaden their understanding of their clients’ needs
- Brokers, analysts, property managers, leasing specialists, and others looking for an opportunity to broaden their knowledge in this field
- HR and recruiting professionals looking to better understand the skills, experience, and value of employees and prospective candidates
Please Click Here for a Manager Justification Letter
- Peter McFarlane, SVP, Investment Management Operations, Fiera Real Estate
- Theresa Warnaar, SVP, Retail & Asset Resilience, KingSett Capital
- REALPAC Member Company*: $1,295.00
- Non-Member Company: $1,495.00
In person attendance:
- REALPAC Member Company*: $1,495.00
- Non-Member Company: $1,695.00
*To determine if your company is a REALPAC Member, click here.
REALPAC reserves the right to cancel course offerings based on low attendance numbers for 100% refund on registration fees only. Participant cancellations must be received in writing, at least five business days prior to the event for a 75% refund. Substitutions are permitted.
Offered in partnership with the Ted Rogers School of Management at Toronto Metropolitan University, the Real Property Investment Certificate encompasses all disciplines and offers a unique perspective into the different facets of the commercial real estate industry.